Wednesday 11 February 2015

Kilimanjaro: Introduction to Tanzania

On Thursday I had to pack my bags last minute as I just returned from another hiking trip in Luxemburg.


The first day of my journey is all about airplanes and airports.
I had to stop in 3 Airports in order get to my destination in Tanzania. First I flew from Brussel to Paris, where a sudden snowstorm was keeping up lots of plains. After a 2,5 hour wait the plain needed some de-icing, which was really necessary considering the amount of snow on the wings. Because of this delay I almost missed my flight from Ethiopia to Tanzania. I had to rush so fast to the gate that I almost didn't notice the temperature difference of 25 degrees.
Hopefully we can teleport to our vacation destinations in the near future :)


When the airplane arrived at the airport in Moshi I could mount Kilimanjaro in the distance. The first view on that I wanted to climb for many years. My hart rate raised and my hands got sweaty as I suddenly realized it finally was going to happen.


A friendly driver took me to my hotel in Moshi and he gave me a basic introduction to Tanzania. Along the way we've seen lot's of cattle that was walking freely on the highway, a sandstorm that hit us by surprise and the crazy traffic in the city.


Moshi seems to be a very busy town. 
On every inch of the side walk there is some kind of small store, or at least someone that is selling something. 
From car parts and plants to food and clothing (actually everything you can imagine). Combine this with a temperature of 35 degrees and you have a very interesting mix of smells flying around these streets.
I can’t seem to sleep on an airplane, so that means I’m already awake for 32 hours. Currently it’s 16 o’clock so I try to stay awake or a little longer so I can get into the right rhythm.
I still have 2 nights before my actual trip to the top of the Kilimanjaro starts. That should be enough to catch up on some sleep and start the journey well rested.
But first food! I’m going to explore the local food today. Wish me luck :)



No comments:

Post a Comment